Sunday, March 8, 2009

Small Town Life

Small towns are a great place to raise kids. There isn't a bunch of things for them to do but they make their own fun. Don't think that small towns are drug and crime free, far from it. I had aways thought this was such a nice little town until I went to work for the District Court. Now I know different, on the surface it is an innocent appearing town.








For such a small town, we have several parks. Lemons park is by far the most beautiful. It doesn't matter what time of year. There are sidewalks the wind through the park, play areas for the kids and separate area for playing baseball and T-ball.




This is the local one and only theater in our town. I does show first run movies. It also has two screens. So no matter where you sit you don't have anything blocking your view. And you are close to the screen.



Our water towers, well maybe at one time but now they are just for show. Pratt's brush with fame came when a writer from the New Yorker magazine drove through town. He say the water towers, had to take a picture and wrote a story that was published in the magazine. Now that was the talk of the town for several weeks!

It took me 15 years to get use to this town. I grew up and always lived in a big city. It was a total shock moving to this small of a town. Now my husband was just the opposite. This is the largest town he has ever lived in. We both adjusted because we are still here some 30 years later.

4 comments:

Snooty Primadona said...

Oh, I'm so glad you're back! I've missed you.

Midland used to be a small town, to where you couldn't go outside the house without seeing everyone you knew. But, the times they are a changing. Our population is now up around 120,000 and there has, of course, been the influx of people from the big cities, bringing with them, the gang-bangers, thieves, rapists, child molesters and what have you.

But, I still like it here and the cities still make me crazy! Although, there are days here when I whine about the traffic. Like when it takes me 30 minutes to get across town, lol.

I love your theatre!!! We have one old theatre I used to go to as a kid but is now a REAL stage theatre for plays & musicals. Otherwise, we have a Hollywood Multi-Screen Theatre and also have a double screen drive-in. So, I guess it's still pretty much like a small town. I still can't go to the grocery store and not run into 20 people I know, unless I go to the Latino market across town, lol.

Shawn said...

Love the pics and yep, that sure is hometown all right. Actually on the back side of the 'Cold' water tower is my initials along with a couple of others above a smoking 'cigarette'. Yeah, cigarette. What else would we have been smoking back then? hmm? Don't answer that. ;o)

Staci said...

I love small towns. Especially living down here in the City (yep, Yukon is really just a suburb and I hate the traffic)!!

brneyedgal967 said...

Small towns definitely have their appeal... then again, so do big cities. I'd like to live about 10 minutes from a small town and about 10 minutes from a big city. That would be the best of both worlds.

Then, if I want to do some shopping at major stores -- I got the city. If I just want to run into a local supermarket, grab a few items and get out quickly -- I'd have the small town.

Maybe someday I'll be where I want. But then I'll find something else to bitch about, like bad cable or internet reception... or snakes.